These flax pancakes are a dietary “treat” staple of mine. They are packed full of good fats, high in fibre and deliciously filling. This recipe could serve 2 hungry people or 4 peckish people. You could use golden linseeds for a lighter more traditional pancake look, but i just used what I had to hand!
Fabulous flax pancakes
- 1 cup flax seed meal (aka ground linseed meal)*
- ½ tsp of liquid stevia
- 1 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Pinch salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup macadamia milk
- ¼ cup fresh or frozen blueberries
11 Butter or oil for cooking the pancakes
12 1 tbsp coconut butter for pancake topping
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flax seed meal, coconut flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- Stir in the eggs, walnut oil and almond milk until well combined. Stir in blueberries.
- Heat a large frying pan over medium heat. Add 2 tsp or so of butter or oil and swirl to cover the bottom of the pan.
- Using about 1/4 cup of batter for each pancake, pour batter on pan and spread into circles.
- Cook until bottom is golden brown and top is set around the edges. Flip carefully and continue to cook until second side is golden brown. Remove from pan and keep warm on plate or baking sheet in oven, while repeating with remaining batter.
- drizzle with coconut butter and enjoy!
*grind your own linseeds at home wherever possible as the pre-ground ones are more liable to be rancid due to the instability of the fats when un-refrigerated.